At BLANC, the main cleaning technology that we use is the Woolmark-approved ‘wet clean’ technology.
Wet cleaning is an expert non-toxic alternative to conventional dry cleaning which delivers a better quality clean. With wet cleaning, we can clean anything with a dry clean only label and our treatment is kinder to your skin, your clothes and our planet.
The Wet Clean Technology
Our specialists hand-treat fabrics with expert use of more natural pre-spotting products and then clean garments with water and biodegradable detergents in our specialist machines. This means that the water used ends up harmless as opposed to toxic, and is heated on demand which reduces energy usage. Wet cleaning machines work at much lower temperatures than traditional dry cleaning, so that’s much more gentle on fibres. They calculate individual cycles for each type of fabric or garment type (be it wool, cashmere, silk, lace, etc). Essentially, wet cleaning combines artisan care with expert tech, and provides a much higher quality outcome. The process leaves garments softer, brighter and fresher.
1. Garment examination: this process starts with a full inspection of each garment where all details about an item are recorded in our system. These notes will follow the garment through every step of the wet cleaning cycle, ensuring that our colleagues are fully aware of what is required for each piece.
2. Stain spotting: this is where stains are assessed and treated by hand using a range of non-toxic agents. Depending on the nature of the stain our professional Stain Spotting Experts will choose the appropriate stain remover.
3. Cleaning: Next, the garment is put into our intelligent specialised cleaning machines. Their delicate and sophisticated mechanical action ensures fibres are respected and items can be cleaned safely - a bit like a 'hand wash', only way more effective. The appropriate cycle and biodegradable detergent are selected for each specific fabric, and the required amount of water to maintain the integrity of the garment is programmed to be aspired into and from the machine.
4. Drying and pressing by hand: next, we dry the garments in gentle dryers or let air dry on special lines, and steam shape on specifically designed machines to give the best finish for the individual item. Our professional pressers will hand finish away all remaining creases and make sure the item is pressed to the highest standard.
5. Quality-check: before being packed carefully ready to return to you, we perform an individual check of each garment, one after the other, to ensure that the process has worked its magic.
Summary of benefits
- No toxic and potentially carcinogenic chemicals on skin or on your clothes
- Safe for babies, children and allergy sufferers
- Removes organic stains (dry cleaning can not remove organic stains such as sweat smell)
- Cleans thoroughly
- No shine (often an issue for suits etc. treated with PERC)
- Leaves garments softer, brighter and fresher.
- Low on energy use, and reduces polluting toxins into the air and water supply
To read more about PERC, toxic dry cleaning and why we make it our mission to tell the world about our alternative technology, click here.